Latest News on Exide
- May 6, 2015 Public Workshop: Community Update - Community Update (Spanish)
- On May 6, 1015, DTSC will hold a community workshop to discuss the soil sampling results of the expanded area to better understand the extent of contamination from the Exide facility.
- On April 9, 2015, DTSC announced the formation of an Advisory Commiittee for safe closure of the Exide facility and cleanup of surrounding residential properties. Apply to become a member of the committee.
- On April 9, 2015, DTSC held a Community Meeting - Closing Exide and Keeping the Community Safe
- On March 27, 2015, bankruptcy court action made Exide subject to DTSC's order.
- On March 12, 2015, DTSC issued an order for the closure and clean-up of the Exide Technologies lead acid battery recycling plant in Vernon, CA.
- On February 26, 2015, the Department notified Exide that the permit for the Vernon plant would be denied.
- On January 28, 2015, DTSC issued 8 Statements of Violation to Exide for illegal storage of hazardous wastes and other violations of hazardous waste regulations.
- On January 23, 2015, DTSC approved a temporary authorization request to implement containerization of feed material and ordered Exide to remove feed material containing free liquids from the containment building.
- On November 6, 2014, DTSC issued an order requiring Exide to place $38.6 million into trust for the eventual closure of the facility, place $9 million into trust for the immediate clean up of residential areas around the facility, perform tests and submit plans to comply with environmental laws and requirements imposed by the Department and the South Coast Air Quality Management District (AQMD), and pay $1.3 million in penalties.
- The Exide Vernon plant has not operated since March of 2014, when it was temporarily closed by the South Coast AQMD for violations of air quality regulations.
- Exide Technologies filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in June of 2013. A final decision on the case is expected by the end of March, 2015.
- DTSC previously ordered Exide to close in April of 2013 but the closure was subsequently overturned by a court.
South Coast AQMD - Exide Technologies Updates
Residential Cleanup Progress
Ponga el ratón sobre la imagen para verla en español
Mouse over the image to view it in Spanish
September 16, 2014 Update
March 21, 2014 Update
On March 21, 2014, DTSC received documents entitled: Response to March 10, 2014 Comments, Off-Site Soil Sampling Report; Addendum to the November 15, 2013 Work Plan for Off-Site Soil Sampling; and Interim Measures Work Plan from Exide Technologies in response to DTSC’s order of March 10, 2014 to submit workplans to address lead in soils in neighborhoods in the Boyle Heights area and the City of Maywood located near the Exide facility in Vernon. DTSC ordered the work plans after soil samples performed by an Exide contractor found lead in 39 residential yards in those neighborhoods. DTSC will review the workplans and will post its written response on the web site when its review is completed.