More than 31,000 VSRs currently operate in California. These shops can be a significant source of hazardous waste and pollution. If you own a VSR or work in one, chances are you already practice some good pollution prevention techniques. The VSR Training and Support Materials can help you to enhance your pollution prevention methods and, at the same time, demonstrate how these methods can potentially lead to big savings.
Going Green Can Save You Money
A significant cost to any VSR is energy and water consumption coupled with disposing of solid and hazardous waste. Taking advantage of P2 in your shop provides opportunities to:
- Reduce energy and water use,
- Reduce permitting fees,
- Reduce costs for cleaning supplies,
- Reduce waste hauling,
- Reduce hazardous waste,
- Increase worker safety,
- Increase customer satisfaction
- Become a leader in your community!
P2 Opportunities Checklist for VSR
The P2 Opportunities Checklist for VSR will help to identify and may suggest many opportunities for pollution prevention in various aspects of your facility operation.
Free Fact sheets, Training modules, Support Materials and More...
- Fact Sheets - identify typical hazardous wastes you may generate and ways to use P2 alternatives to reduce waste and pollution.
- Training modules – video and training and technical assistance to identify and put to use the economic and environmental benefits of: pollution prevention methods, products and services within the private sector, local government agencies, and vehicle repair and fleet maintenance operations.
- Directory of Services - an electronic directory of VSR pollution prevention products and services.
- Resources - additional useful and relevant information for vehicle service and repair maintenance facilities.
How Shops Are Saving
Here are examples of cost savings reported by some shops:
- Aqueous Brake Washing - About 20% to 80% annual cost savings for all test shops when compared to aerosol brake cleaners.
- Aqueous Parts Cleaning - Larry’s Autoworks saves approximately $14,000 annually.
- Oil Water Separators - Salem Boys saved approximately $3,000 a year.
- Refillable Spray Bottles - Salem Boys Auto also saves another $2,035 annually by using refillable spray bottles instead of aerosol cans.
- Reusable Oil Filters - Barton Sand and Gravel saved approximately $4,100 a year.
- Waste Antifreeze Recycling - United States Postal Service (USPS), Huntington Beach, experienced a seven month payback period.
Who can I contact for more information?
If you have questions, please contact the DTSC Regulatory Assistance Officer at 1-800-728-6942 or RAO@dtsc.ca.gov.