Where to Take these Wastes?
- Join Oscar the Grouch's "Not in My Trash Can-paign" by keeping universal wastes out of the trash.
- Find a Take it Back Partner to properly recycle your fluorescent lights, batteries, and electronic wastes.
- CalRecycle has lists of business that collect and recycle all types of wastes in California, and a database that finds organizations that recover unwanted electronics.
- eRecycle.org is specially designed for recycling electronic wastes and answering any additional questions.
- Earth911.org lists information on all facilities that collect and recycle universal wastes and household hazardous wastes.
- DTSC's UWED & CRT database has a list of all collectors and recyclers in California that handle electronic devices.
What about Major Appliances?
Major Appliances contain mercury and other ozone depleting chemicals that are dangerous for human and environmental health. These appliances include the following items.
- washing machine
- clothes dryer
- hot water heater
- conventional oven or microwave oven
- refrigerator or freezer
- trash compactor
- residential furnace
These items can not go into our landfills. When you are ready to recycle one of these items you can have it taken away for a fee by the company that delivers a new appliance or you can call a Certified Appliance Recycler to recycle it.
How is California doing recycling Universal Wastes?
The following are reports on the our recycling rates in California for certain wastes.
Information for Generators, Handlers, and Recyclers