Emergency Hazardous Waste Identification (ID) Numbers

Emergency hazardous waste identification (ID) numbers are issued for true emergencies involving hazardous waste, such as a spill or a clandestine lab cleanup. These are generally only given to government agencies or their contractors.

There are two categoriess of emergency numbers issued, EPA ID and State ID numbers. Emergency EPA ID numbers are used for 100 kg or more of RCRA hazardous waste, and/or 1 kg or more of acutely hazardous waste. State ID numbers are issued for all other hazardous waste.

During normal business hours, please call:

  • (800) 618-6942 if calling from within the U.S.
  • (916) 255-1136 if calling from outside the U.S.

AFTER HOURS, to obtain an emergency ID number, please call the California Office of Emergency Services (OES) at (800) 852-7550.