Off Highway Removals

The Emergency Response Program (ERP) administers the expenditure of state funds for the purpose of taking immediate corrective action necessary to remedy or prevent an emergency resulting from a fire, explosion, or human exposure to a release or threatened release of hazardous substances. This includes responding to "midnight dumping," abandonments, spill/release situations involving an unknown responsible party; or other action needed for incident stabilization or to prevent potential emergencies.

The ERP is only involved with Off-Highway incidents. "Off-Highway" refers to hazardous materials incidents which occur off State Highways or State Right-of-Way. Incidents occurring on State Highways or State Right-of-Way are handled by the California Department of Transportation (CalTrans) and/or the California Highway Patrol (CHP).

The ERP provides coordination and support to local agencies to mitigate emergency HazMat situations. "Emergency" is defined as a HazMat situation involving a release or threatened release of a hazardous substance where there is a threat to public health and/or the environment. DTSC will work with local agencies, as well as US EPA, in situations where corrective actions may involve costs beyond the capability of local or state government.

DTSC can provide the following types of assistance:

  • Removal of Off-Highway spilled or abandoned hazardous materials where there is no responsible party
  • Stabilization of dangerous HazMat situations where responsible parties are unwilling or unable to pay
  • Supplement the response capabilities of local agencies in disasters and in large HazMat incidents
  • Providing hazard assessment assistance to communities without emergency response capabilities
  • Provide technical assistance
  • Assist in coordinating a multi-agency response








To Request State Assistance

DTSC assistance for Off-Highway removals of hazardous materials may be requested by local agencies such as local health, environmental health, fire, or law enforcement agencies. If you are a business, or a private citizen concerned about an emergency hazardous materials incident, or some abandoned hazardous materials, or if you have some similar concern about hazardous materials, you should contact one of the above-mentioned local government agencies in your area.

A local government agency wanting to request DTSC assistance during normal work hours (Monday-Friday, 8 am - 5 pm) should call DTSC at (800) 260-3972 or (916) 255-6504, and request to speak to the DTSC Emergency Response Duty Officer. After hours, weekends, or on holidays, call the California Governor's Office of Emergency Services (Cal OES) Warning Control Center at (800) 852-7550. Notify Cal OES of the incident and of the fact that you are requesting DTSC assistance.  They will contact the DTSC Emergency Response Duty Officer who will then contact you.

Off Highway Removals Off Highway Removals Off Highway Removals