Permanent Hazardous Waste ID Numbers

Do You Need a State or Federal EPA ID Number?

Permanent ID numbers are issued to people or businesses who routinely generate or handle hazardous wastes. There are two categories of ID numbers. These are state ID Numbers and federal EPA ID numbers.

  • Do you routinely handle hazardous wastes, such as used oil and universal waste?  You need a state ID number.

  • Do you manifest (ship) 100 kg (220 lbs.) or more of RCRA (federal) hazardous waste and/or 1 kg (2.2 lbs.) of acute RCRA hazardous waste?  You need a federal EPA ID number.

Do You Need a State ID Number?

DTSC issues permanent state ID numbers to handlers for the purpose of tracking hazardous wastes. 

State ID numbers are site-specific and owner-specific. If the business changes owners OR changes location, a new state ID number must be obtained.

Perm Federal EPA ID Number

Do You Need a Federal EPA ID Number?

If you or your business generates more than 100 kg of RCRA (federal) hazardous waste and/or 1 kg of acute RCRA hazardous waste, you need to obtain a federal EPA ID number.

perm-epa-id-num                               I have an EPA ID Number

To Inactivate a Permanent Federal EPA ID Number

To inactivate/cancel a federal EPA ID number, you only need to send in a "Letter of Inactivation." The letter should contain the EPA ID number to be inactivated, the location address to which it is registered, a date, an original "wet signature," and a current contact address and phone number. There is no application form to complete.

Please send your inactivation letter to the following address:

California Department of Toxic Substances Control
Attn: RCRA Notifications MS 11-27
P.O. Box 806 
Sacramento, CA 95812-0806